Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Grownups Read Things They Wrote As Kids.

I don't remember the last time I laughed as much as I did last night. I went to a reading series called "Grownups Read Things They Wrote As Kids". They were holding their 6th installment at the Tranzac, conveniently located 2 minutes from my apartment. Not that it wouldn't have been worth it to trudge across the city, even in the bitter cold. 

Dan Misener, the creator of GRTTWAK, has three criteria for the readings in this open-mic environment. 

1) You must be the person who wrote it as a child.
2) You must be the person who reads it as an adult.
3) It must be short (less than 5 minutes).

Last night I heard various diary entries, short stories, letters, birthday cards, and excerpts from a newspaper publication for cats and dogs that one man had written at age 7. These things are inherently funny and charming, just by the very fact that they were written by children. Dan makes podcasts at each of the GRTTWAK performances. Here's one I found on his website. I was lucky enough to hear the second chapter of this story about ghost cats last night. 

The next "Grownups Read Things They Wrote As Kids" will be in the spring, exact date TBA. You have to go.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had an AWESOME time! Sounds like you may have discovered something really special there...

I'll be sure to check out the next one, too.

Dan is a great guy - he produces at CBC and you can sometimes catch him on Go or Spark or other somesuch programs. Check out his blog for more on my ex-classmate and housemate: http://danmisener.com/