Thursday, January 15, 2009

How to knit a hat.



I started knitting about a year ago when I was doing a show with my friend Christine Rossi at Talk is Free Theatre. She is quite an avid knitter, and got me started making scarves. During my Prince George contract, I conquered leg warmers, slippers and hats. 

I love it.

Knitting is very therapeutic and hugely satisfying. I love to turn on CBC, make a cup of tea, and knit a warm winter hat. It feels wholesomerrific. 

Because I'm still a newbie, I have been surfing the internet to find easy patterns. The hat above is one of the simplest patterns I've ever seen. Here's what you do:

1) Cast on 25 stitches.
2) Knit until it's long enough to wrap around your head.
3) Cast off, sew into a tube.
4) Weave yarn through one end of tube, then pull to form top of hat.

If you don't know the basics of knitting, like casting on and off, or how to knit and purl, just check out YouTube for instructional videos. 

No comments: